Fred the Red Shirt

Default Is hard maple the hardest wood?

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message ...
Fred the Red Shirt schreef

Prunus is a genus, and was that long before cherries were cultivated.

+ + +
That is not so. ...
Prunus has been all over the place and has had its present (wide)
circumscription for a decade or two or three or so. ...
I believe there are quite a few people
making a living by speculating (read: researching DNA and using lots of
statistics) on how 'Prunus' species are related to one another.

I noticed a lot of variation in the classification at different
websites. I think you're right, the geneticists will get the
final word (for a while) on the issue.

One thing, er, two actually I'm sure we agree on is that the wood of
the black cherry is not much like the wood of the orchard cherry, nor
is the fruit.

--

FF