Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 chatter -- solved at last

In article ,

On 2008-04-07, Clark Magnuson wrote:
I have a 5914 that shakes hard with a cut off blade.
I am tense, and when the shaking causes something to fall over in the
pan of the lathe, I just about jump out of my skin.

I have no problems with my Clausing 5418 -- pretty much the same
except step pulley and manual belt changes. I always part of with the
backgear.

I now hack saw off pieces and then face it with the lathe.

Well ... for larger workpieces, I use the 4x6"
horizontal/vertical cheap bandsaw. But I will certainly part off
workpieces which I feed through the spindle -- both up to 1" in the 5C
collets, and the hex 12L14 stock which is the maximum which will fit
through the 1-3/8" ID spindle with the drawtube removed. (I think that
is 1-1/8" hex, but until I have to buy more, it won't matter much.) The
hex stock is held in the 3-jaw chuck.

If I ever do see chatter when parting off, I know that it is
time to tighten the spindle draw-up ring again. (I swapped spindles to
get an L-00 spindle nose in place of the 2-1/4x8 which came with the
lathe.

I thought the spindle was tight enough, but maybe not. The 6" drive
playte should have stopped in a half turn, as discussed elsewhere. I
think I'll revisit this.

Joe Gwinn