Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 chatter -- solved at last

In article ,

On 2008-04-06, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
F. George McDuffee wrote:

[ ... ]

Many people use a cut-off tool upside down from the back of the
machine with good results. These are generally home made.
http://iwr.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe/reartool.html
http://www.americanmachinist.com/304...se/78007/Issue

kits are available
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/Catalog...%20Version.pdf

The problem with the 5914 is that the cross-slide won't go far enough
back to allow for two toolposts, and has just one T-slot. Apparently,
there is a two-slot cross-slide available for the Clausing 5900-series
lathes, but I have not seen one. DoN may have one.

Don't I wish! I've only seen them in an old catalog which was
scanned for me.

Hmm. Maybe someday.

for a commercial version see
http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/ke...atalog-4010/73
54-1120-_374.html

Man does Kennametal have a big catalog. What I didn't see was a
comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods of
holding inserts.

Typically, I think that you pick a system which matches what you
already have. At least that is what I did -- starting with a couple of
good holder from eBay auctions along with 100 matching inserts for each. :-)

I'm leaning towards buying new, not wanting to wait a year to get lucky.
Now you know that the day after I order the new item, three fine used
items will turn up on eBay, for a third the price.

Joe Gwinn