Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Lawn Help

wrote in message
Ok, year #2 in the beautiful newly built house in the NE with the
crappy lawn. Builder half-assed it and the lawn is sparse with a lot
of crabgrass. I don't need a "home and garden" lawn but I'd like some
grass !
Questions:

1. My thought is to use a slit-seeder rented from home depot since
previous attempts by just chucking down seed and watering has failed.
Make sense? Other ideas?

2. Is now a good time to seed or should I wait 2 weeks or a month?

Thanks for your guidance!

Early Fall late Summer is the proper time to plant so that the grass grows
roots not top growth. If you seed now you can not use a crabicide.

If I were in your place I would treat for crabgrass, feed it well and hope
it fills in some, kill weeds all summer a seed heavy in the fall. You need
8-10 weeks of growing before the heavy frost to get established.

--
Colbyt