Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Versizon FIOS vs. Cable

Will VErizon FIOS, on glass cable instead of co-zx, be broadcast on
the same frequencies as cable TV?

That is, will TV's and DVD recorders be able to use the same methods,
settings etc. to tune in FIOS tv as they use for cable tv.

Or will FIOS be like satellite, which I gather has to use its own box,
since none of the instructions for digital DVD-recorders and
televisions refer to connecting the satellite lead directly to the
recorder or tv?

What I have been told by people who work with the technology, is that
FIOS carries the television signals by modulating a wideband RF signal
onto an infrared optical carrier. The wideband RF signal is (to a
very close approximation) just a multi-channel cable-TV signal - it
carries multiple channels of analog and digital television with the
same frequencies and modulation schemes that you would see on a
typical cable-TV coax.

At the home, the IR signal on the fiber is simply demodulated down to
RF, and can be distributed throughout the home on standard 75-ohm coax.

Hence, standard televisions, VCRs, DVRs, and other set-top boxes can
be used. At the head end, standard cable-TV-plant modulators and
combiners can be used - it's all off-the-shelf cable stuff up to the
point where the RF signal is modulated onto an optical carrier.

The Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS
seems to concur with what I've been told by cable-aware engineers.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO