Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Question for the 'gang'

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 02:51:29 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Everyone...
I have a woodburner that I purchased about 1985 or so. Originally made
by the Scandinavian Furnace Works in Fountain, Florida (evidently now
out of business). The shaker grates (3) in this unit are cast iron,
about 24" long, have "teeth" on both sides, have a rounded bottom, a
"leg" which sticks down on the deep end of the grate for connection to
the others and providing a means of "rocking" all three at one time by
placing the shaker handle on any one of the three triangular ends just
inside the ash pit door. Problem is that these are just about "done"
as far as their lifespan, and I'm having trouble locating anything
close to this design.
I'm thinking - (beware) - would it WORK to get some 1/2" plate
stainless, three pieces 4" x 24" and mill out the teeth on each side,
weld on the links for shaking, etc. Would the stainless endure the
heat? We only burn wood, but the "coals" get really hot and I
wouldn't want the stainless to sag under the heat and weight of the
fire. I don't mind paying the price for the stainless if this is a
viable solution. Otherwise, I don't see any other method except to
try to find someone to "cast" a new set - and that would probably be
cost prohibitive. Suggestions???? Thanks. BTW, I, myself, don't want
to try casting.
Ken.

Just be aware that the stainless will probably warp more when hot
than the cast did so plan accordingly. You might need a little more
clearance in some places.