Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default LIFI Plasma lamps. Was: Light bulb power saver (and now the rest of the story)

"msg" wrote in message
default wrote:

A Tic-Tac-sized lightbulb that gives off as much light as a
streetlamp may offer a peek at the ultra-efficient lighting of the
future. The bulb, developed by Luxim of Sunnyvale, California, uses
plasma technology to achieve its brightness.

This paper describes the lamp and technology in greater detail:
http://www.lifi.com/pdfs/ArticleSID2007LUXIM-8Mar07.pdf

The operating frequency range is described, but the commercially
realized product frequencies are not disclosed.

RFI from these devices may be significant; an FCC type acceptance
would provide more data, but unfortunately most self-certified
products now lack online reference data (more research needed
for this product).

Anyone here that encounters HDTVs that include this device are
encouraged to do a spectrum sweep if you have the gear.

Michael

That sounds like an interesting adaptation of the concept used in the
previously mentioned sulphur lamp.

The RFI can be shielded, the Philips QL induction lamp is RF excited and
manages to emit very little leakage. I have a 165W example I experimented
with and could detect nothing more than a few inches from the bulb. I forget
what frequency they operate at, but IIRC it was several MHz.