Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 15:06:05 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann Rabid ****ing NUTTER "

I cited two articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube
Where does it say that electrons excite phosphors to emit x-rays?

Amazing. You can read.

He
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode...zing_radiation

The first line says it.

" CRTs can emit a small amount of X-ray radiation as a result of the
electron beam's bombardment of the shadow mask/aperture grille and
phosphors. "

Well, then Wikipedia is somewhat wrong. Phosphors emit light
wavelengths, not x-rays. However the phosphors are doped with various
other materials, which possibly do contribute some X-rays. I did some
quick Googling and couldn't find any references to phosphors directly
emitting x-rays. There was plenty on how they emitted light, but no
mention of x-rays. If phosphors did belch x-rays, then the CRT
picture would be serisously smeared as the emitted x-rays excite
adjacent phosphor dots or lines.

Also, monochrome CRTs ( which have no shadow mask ) emit x-rays as a result
of phosphor bombardment. Becomes significant with accelerating voltages
above 20KV, just as with colour TVs.

Well, there you got me, maybe. Most references say that x-rays are
not a problem with mono CRT's because of the lack of the shadow mask
and lower accelleration voltages. I found several Zenith patents and
references for 20-30KV mono CRT tubes (mostly used for medical
imaging) that never mentioned x-rays or showed any indication that
x-rays were a problem. All said that the lead in the glass was
sufficient to limit x-ray leakage to within FDA safety limits. (0.5
milliroentgens per hour at a distance of 5 cm). Perhaps that's
because the x-rays produced by the dopants in the phosphor are rather
small? Dunno. I'll see if I can find something but not tonite.

Game over - pal.

Yep. It's a game to you. Is that why you find it necessary to add
insults to almost every line? Also, ease up on the double spacing.
The world supply of white space is limited.

Listen up - YOU are nothing but another PITA
STEAMING GREAT BULL**** ARTIST !!!
SO GO DROP DEAD !!

But who will play games with you if I do that?
Incidentally, your caps lock key appears to be stuck.

....... Phil

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D