Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Question for the 'gang'

On Apr 6, 10:51*pm, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:
Everyone...
I have a woodburner that I purchased about 1985 or so. Originally made
by the Scandinavian Furnace Works in Fountain, Florida (evidently now
out of business). The shaker grates (3) in this unit are cast iron,...
Ken.

That's clearly a coal stove, you turn the grates to break up clinkers
(slag lumps). Wood stoves only make clinkers if you burn recycled clay-
coated paper. A barbecue or fireplace type grate should be fine, if
you need a grate at all.

When I was a kid I made a blast furnace using a broken garden rake for
the grate. The incoming air kept it cool enough to hold its shape even
with ~5 Lbs of lead on top of the wood.

I replaced a badly warped cast iron baffle plate in my woodstove with
stainless and it has held up very well for a couple of years. The
stove has no grate, just a layer of sand to protect the bottom. The
air enters horizontally through the door vent about 2 inches above the
sand.

Jim Wilkins