Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:54:15 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

Got a reference page from whatever Wiki you were reading that says
phosphors emit x-rays when pounded on by electrons?

** Same Wiki page you cited - ****wit.

Ummm.... I didn't realize that Wikipedia is the only Wiki on the
internet. I guess it's the only one you read. Ummm... you can read?
In the future, assuming you have one, please be more specific.

I cited two articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube
Where does it say that electrons excite phosphors to emit x-rays?
The 2nd article mentions:
"The screen is covered with a phosphorescent coating (often
transition metals or rare earth elements), which emits visible
light when excited by high-energy electrons."
which is quite the opposite of what you are rudely suggesting.
Pounding on phosphors with electrons emits light, not x-rays.

I do have one simple question.....

** You do have one simple brain.
Simply ****ed.
**** off, nut case.
..... Phil

Nope. You're so much fun to irritate. However, your insults are
starting to become repetitious. Could I trouble you to find some new
material? I get easily bored. Besides, I find it more interesting to
be insulting without the use of profanity.

While you're fabricating another worthless response, you might
consider that the same mechanism that inspires metals to emit x-rays
is what causes phosphors to emit light when pounded on by electrons.
When the electrons in the inner orbits are knocked out (ionized) by
the bombarding the electrons, the outer electrons fall into these
inner orbits to replace them. The distance traveled between the outer
and inner orbits is the wavelength of the radiation produced. The
difference between the binding energies of the inner and outer shell
electrons is the energy of the radiation produced. These are also
some of the basic principles behind x-ray spectroscopy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D