Posted to alt.home.repair
L d'Bonnie L d'Bonnie is offline

Default Framing nailer

I have the cordless Paslode framing nailer. It is reliable and
durable. The gas cylinders are pricey but go a long way. A fully
charged battery lasts for a long time but I would suggest getting
a spare. It never seem to fail that the battery goes dead at the
most inopportune time. Nails are expensive. Thats something to
compare between brands. The cordless units are big and bulky
compared to the air powered nailer. It requires an extra grunt
or two to get the thing into the proper firing position. Especially
when you are standing on your head and every limb is extended two
inches beyond their design limits.

It's a tossup as to which type is the most useful. Granted the
cordless will get into places where it would be difficult to drag
in an air hose, but on the other hand the air nailer will fit into
smaller spaces and can drive a lot more nails in a given time. It
also has a larger magazine. Just like the battery you will find that
you run out of nails just when you have squeezed the thing into the
most awkward place on the job.

If I had to make the decision again I probably would go with the
air powered nailer. Having said that I still do not regret buying
the cordless. Unless you are a pro its six of one, half a dozen
of the other.

I've had mine for over five years, not sure of current prices but
I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a compressor and a air
nailer for less than the cost of a cordless unit.

LdB

Moo wrote:
I need to buy a framing nailer. I see the cordless Paslode models can
fire a lot of nails between having to replace energy cells and
recharging the battery, so am tempted to go for one of those. It will
only be used on my house, for example framing out my basement and other
miscellaneous jobs that come along, so not heavy duty.

A question for the group - what are the best types of nails to go for -
I see guns shoot a variety (paper collated or weld for example)? Any
other advice on framing nailers gratefully received.

TIA

Moo