Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default low voltage wire splice

dpb wrote:
terry wrote:

If a splce, to be buried, is attempted at all, soldered wires and gel
filled heat shrink tubing over each wire and then additional double
layers over the entire splice could be attempted and might last a
while?

The made-for-purpose underground filled wire nuts do just fine--I've a
several-year (at least four, possibly as much as 5 or maybe even 6???
--daxx I can't recall much any more ) repair of the 240V feed to the
well pump.

I've come across repairs Dad (or maybe even Grandpa) made that have to
be a minimum of 30 or so that were still fine w/ nothing but twisted
connections covered w/ friction tape and then vinyl tape.

I don't disbelieve that, but why did they use friction tape UNDER vinyl
tape? The original purpose of friction tape was to protect the old
stretchable rubber tape used on such splices from abrasion. Hence its name.

So, a good job w/ a _quality_ tape will last quite some time. The key
is enough layers done tightly enough and cleanly enough.

--

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia