Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 chatter -- solved at last

In article , Dan@ (Dan ) wrote:

I found loose spinde bearings caused my lathe to chatter real bad
while parting. I tightened up the bearings and the chatter went away.
Something to look at.

I did think of this possibility, based on other postings, so I went
through the checkout procedure in the Clausing manual.

Basically, with a 9" drive plate (well, mine is 6") in place and the
leadscrew not connected, let the lathe run for an hour to warm up, then
stop the lathe, pull the pin so the spindle is disconnected from the
drive, and give the spindle a spin by hand. It should spin to a stop in
about one turn.

It spun down in about one turn when I followed the procedure, and made
no odd noises, so loose spindle bearings do not appear to be a problem.

Joe Gwinn