Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buying from Scrap yards?

On Apr 5, 6:54*pm, SCOTT wrote:
The town where I live has started not letting you take anything from
the scrap metal bin at the town dump. Apparently they have a contract
with the removal company that requires all metal brought in to stay
there. So it looks like I need to find a new source for bits and
pieces. I haven't tried to buy from scrap yards before. Do you guys do
this, if so is there repairable machinery that comes up there, or is it
all shredded, or what?

Scott

Not a good sign Scott.

One of my litmus tests as to the livability of a town is whether I can
shop for depreciated materials to design/build/repair other items in
my life.

The higher prices of metal has made it MUCH tougher to scourge for
shop materials these days. The prices have caused alot of bottom
feeders to get very aggressive in respect to salvaging metal and is
reducing the available supply to HSMers.

TMT