Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe update/questions

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 07:38:54 -0500, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

snip
I cannot yet comment from experience, but the compound looks awfully
handy
to remain locked. Just a thought from a newbie.

Keep that thought in mind...the newbie part, that is

I've got around 40 years doing this stuff...from things I've read from
Gunner and DoN, they each have at least that much or more time in this.
AND
this what we do for a living...so between the three of us, we're talking
about 120 years or so of collective experiance.

Ive only been doing it for about 12 yrs actually. Not even that
long..but Ive spent 12 yrs as a machine tool mechanic, diagnosing,
fixing, setting up and teaching folks to run both manual and CNC
machine tools, and trouble shooting metal cutting machines when they
take a ****, or stop making accurate parts. Or worse..making good
parts ALMOST all of the time....

Then there is the home shop..shrug

snip
Gunner

Mea culpa...

I stand corrected.

I wonder why I thought you'd been doing this longer.

Mike

Cause Ive learned a LOT in those 12 yrs?

If I dont know how to cut metal, I cant tell if a machine is working
correctly or not, and if the problem is machine related, program or
operated related.

IE..I know how its Supposed to work..so when it stops doing it
correctly..I have to find out why., and how to correct it.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner