Posted to uk.d-i-y
johan johan is offline

Default Damp found on kitchen wall - HELP!!

Jim wrote:
If the wall is indeed fairly dry, then "all" you need to do is find the
cause of the damp and remove it. Things to look at:

Is it not just water going through the tiles (is it behind the sink area)?
Can it be a leaking water supply or waste pipe? Condensation on a cold
water supply pipe?

Also, is the floor (damp) concrete, and did the plasterboard or plaster
touch this and draw up damp?

If you're an experienced diy-er, you will already have thought about all
this, I guess. Just my tuppence worth.....

Johan

I did find a couple of water pipes under the palsterboard chased into the
brickwork but these didn't have any obvious leaks. With regard to
condensation would it help if I stuffed some loft type insulation round
these ?

Assuming the pipes are still exposed now, you will be able to see
whether condensation is the problem. Or indeed a slow (tiny) leak.

Hard to tell if the floor itself was damp as it is tiled. There is now a
couple of cm gap between the brickwork and floor tiles that I've swept out
of loose debris although it feels slightly damp this could just be that it's
cold or that it is where the palsterboard was touching it. Would putting a
plastic membrane/ laying a bead of silicone in there be any help ? Also
would it be benfecial not to replace the plasterboard and tile directly onto
the wall ?

I would think that as long as the cause of the damp is not established,
it is hard to know whether and how it would be possible to ignore and
hide it. And it would possibly cause more trouble in the future.

Many Thanks

Jim