Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default can I make long cables, other than co-ax cables

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 18:13:10 -0500, wrote:

mm wrote:
I'm only planning this because the warning for the RF modulator said
picture quality would deteriorate. I guess I should wait and see how
much that happens. But I should start all this planning and doing now
and not wait till February.

I saw sometjing a while back where someone claimed to have sucessfully used Cat
5 cable for S-video throughout his house... a google search should should find
that information.

OK, googled on cat-5 s-video .
Many threads in groups.google. In
www.google among others, got:
This page sells adapaters, s-video to cat-5, for 27 dollars each:
http://www.svideo.com/svideobalun.html cord style
http://www.svideo.com/svideobalun2.html box style 50 dollars each
Send S-Video and Stereo Audio over a single Category 5e cable.

Advantages of runing S-Video over CAT5:
- Less signal loss over long runs.
- Use your building's structured cabling.
- Neater and faster cabling.
- More variety of CAT5 cable to meet your building's code.
Features:
- Transmit up to 1,000 ft. via Cat 5e
- Each balun has one s-video jack for video and 2 RCA jacks for left
(white) and right (red) audio signals.
- Each balun has one RJ45 jack to connect to an RJ45 plug on a Cat 5e
cable.
This product uses the four pairs in a CAT5 cable.
If you just need to send the S-video, then consider our S-Video Balun.
If the equipment at your destination only has composite video then
consider our "Pro S-Video to Non-S-Video + Audio" cable.**
Note: Two are required so a minimum of 2 is automatically set when you
order.
Availability: ships same day.

** http://www.svideo.com/svideorcapro93.html 19 dollars each

If you are inclined to email me