Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Although the EPA noted that metallic lead does corrode,
resulting in toxic soluble compounds, they didn't say
anywhere (at least that I could find) that lead in landfills is
considered a significant problem, and there was no mention
of danger from tossing used electronics in the trash.

Unless, of course, it's a CFL full of nasty mercury compounds ... d;~}

I assume you're being hyperbolic for humorous effect. But there is only a
tiny amount of mercury in a fluorescent tube.

You assume correctly. However, it is a serious point, because there is more
mercury in there than the official maximum limit for disposal in regular
household garbage in Europe (apparently). At my local dump, there is a
special bin for 'regular' fluorescent tubes, but no mention of CFLs, which
I'm sure that many people don't realise, also employ the same basic
technology. Incidentally, in an effort to promote these hateful lights, my
local supermarket is 'giving them away' for 1 penny each. Another one was
giving them free with a certain amount of shopping a few weeks ago. So I
wonder how that equates with the proposals to 'build in' the cost of
disposal of electronic waste, to the retail price ...?

Arfa