Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] Dan_Thomas_nospam@yahoo.com is offline

Default Steel Slab weight

On Apr 6, 1:06 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Ed,
Do you have a table of specific weights by alloy? All I have is a metric
reference and it is not specific enough to be able to identify unknown
material well.
Steve

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message news:...

"William Longyard" wrote in message
news:97adnXcODMt2z2XanZ2dnUVZ_qWtnZ2d@earthlink. com...
Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42"
?

Thanks,
Bill

The density of most grades of steel averages around 0.283 pounds per
cubic inch, so your slab weighs about 992 lb.

--
Ed Huntress

Jeez. Hand slipped punching calculator buttons. g That's 992 cubic
inches, or 281 pounds.

--
Ed Huntress

From Machinery's Handbook, 24th Edition, page 356:

Metal Density, lb per cubic inch
Aluminum .098
Beryllium .067
Brass(80/20 cu/zn) .310
Bronze .317
Chromium .260
Cobalt .310
Copper .295
Cast iron .260
Lead .397
Magnesium .066
Manganese .268
Mercury .4892
Molybdenum .341
Nickel .308
Platinum .775
Silver .379
Carbon steel .283
Tin .275
Titanium .170
Tungsten .630
Vanaduim .221
Zinc .230

Interesting that tungsten is nearly half again as heavy as mercury.
Explains the weight of those carbide inserts, huh? I wish they'd
included uranium; it's really heavy, too. And magnesuim's weight
explains why it's popular in aircraft applications.

Dan