Mike in Mystic

Default tablesaws

That's it exactly, Leon.

To me there are only two factors: 1) are you going to do a lot of beveling
relative to dadoing = get a left-tilt; 2) are you going to do a lot of
dadoing relative to beveling = get a right-tilt.

Either situation, IMO, isn't really difficult to work around. The whole
idea of choosing something so the tilt wheel is on the side of your dominant
hand is silly. Can you really tell me that you aren't coordinated enough to
use the other hand if you need to? I'm right-handed, but believe it or not,
I actually can successfully use the tilt wheel on my right-tilt with my left
hand. Shocking.

And, Leon, I've seen these lists comparing right vs. left tilts and most of
the "benefits" to left vs. right are not substantive at all. If I need to
do a bevel more than ~16 inches from the fence, then it becomes an issue.
But, which way you have to tighten the arbor nut, which side the tilt wheel
is on, etc. really are so insignificant as to be not worth mentioning. The
loss of shelf space is another real issue, but it isn't going to make or
break the deal.

So, I have a question. Do you honestly do more beveling than dadoing? And,
what's the use of having a nice accurate fence with a good distance
indicator if you need to use a tape measure to set the fence? More
importantly, I've used left-tilts to do dadoing and more than once I forgot
and used the tape and screwed up some panels. Wasting wood is too
expensive, so that's what made my decision.

I guess I've said my piece more than I should have. I just get sick of
people saying how SAFE the left-tilt is relative to the right. A load of
hogwash.

Mike

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..
Well, no, but that is one of the reasons I use in my rubber stamp reply.
An exception would be if you are will be cutting a lot of grooves or dados
at different distances from the edge of the wood, the right tilt would
probably be the better choice regardless if you are right or left handed.

"Upscale" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
"Leon" wrote in message
news
"JackD" wrote in message

BTY, you have seen the long list of reasons to get the left over the

right
and I agreed most are strictly personal preference but when you

compared
the
long list of reasons to get the left tilt vs. the reasons to the right

tilt,
what reason on the right tilt list swayed you to choose the right

tilt?

The best reason is practical. If you're right handed, then it makes

sense
go with left tilt and the wheel on the right. Left handed, then it's

pretty
obvious to go with right tilt. Can't get more practical with that.