Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Buying from Scrap yards?

On 2008-04-06, Backlash wrote:

I shop at scrap and salvage yards like most women shop at the mall, if that
answers your question.
I have furnished my shop with many items from the yards. Hell, I even
bought a J&L comparator for the company out of the scrap yard, buried in the
mud, for $30 once. Got it going for another $120. We still use it daily. One
part of my hobby is to purchase and refurb machinery from yards to resell to
support my machinery "habit". I keep the ones I want for myself. I recently
bought a pallet of mixed metal junk at auction for $5, and buried down in it
was a container with several pounds of large silver electrical contacts in
it that I sold for $1,300 the other day. (Iggy's eyes get big)

Indeed. Very big.

I have a bunch of copper contacts with silver bars soldered on,
too. Not worth nearly as much, obviously. Great job.

Spot price
was $17.55 an ounce at the time. Sold $200 worth of new eprom chips off it
also. Ya don't do that every day, though. That will be used for seed money
to make other purchases. I sell some items on the spot in the yard using
the cellphone to read specs off name plates to prospective "clients", to see
If I have a solid sales lead before even buying the item. Cellphone sends
pics for approval. Friend of mine made $25,000 on one sale of a specialized
piece of equipment like that.
Some yards have a handheld piece of equipment that they "shoot" metal with
to tell it's composition. That sucka costs around $36,000 dollars, but will
sort the trash from the treasures. Check spot price on Rhodium and you'll
know why they have that device. Never mind, checked for you. It's at $8,980
an ounce tonight. You likely have some around your house.

I should check them out. I have a scrap man who often sells stuff to
me.

If you're referring to the analysers two companies I know of that make
them are Niton http://www.niton.com/ and Oxford Instruments
http://www.oxford-instruments.com/wp...ents/Products/
look under X in the products list for handheld X ray analysers.

RJ

"SCOTT" wrote in message
news:050420082054065765%scottb9411removethis@comca st.net...

The town where I live has started not letting you take anything from
the scrap metal bin at the town dump. Apparently they have a contract
with the removal company that requires all metal brought in to stay
there. So it looks like I need to find a new source for bits and
pieces. I haven't tried to buy from scrap yards before. Do you guys do
this, if so is there repairable machinery that comes up there, or is it
all shredded, or what?

Scott