Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Steel Slab weight

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Ed,
Do you have a table of specific weights by alloy? All I have is a metric
reference and it is not specific enough to be able to identify unknown
material well.
Steve

I haven't looked very deeply into it (I had the density of steel written on
the cheat-sheet I keep with my engineering calculator), but here's a short
list from Bal-Tec in lb./in.^3 and in metric:

http://precisionballs.com/ball_weight_and_density.html

To get into the alloys would require some digging. Cast iron is lighter than
steel; stainless is heavier than carbon steel; I don't know where to find
the individual alloys. Maybe someone else knows.

--
Ed Huntress