Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Roofing Question

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Apr 5, 10:47*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:12 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to
the guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He
didn't look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

You can clarify this with your roofer, but on the rare occasions that
I have bid roof work, I would say something like "Contractor assumes
that a re-deck will not be necessary. *If roof needs a complete
redeck, an additional charge of $45 per sheet of 1/2" plywood will
apply.

Most older (pre-WWII) houses in my area have a layer of cedar shakes
at the bottom, and the 3/4" pine sheathing underneath has large gaps
in between the boards to allow the cedar to breath. *Once the roof is
torn off, the entire roof needs to be redecked, and we usually use
7/16" or 1/2" OSB.

JK

It sounds like you're saying that it's all or nothing. We both know
that's not true, so didn't you ever bid on a job that might need just
a sheet or two? Did you assume (and show up with) 1/2" ply?

For what it's worth, my deck is tight, no gaps...

I've done roofing only on a personal basis and the last one was qute a
doozie. But anyway, in my limited exposure as to what's out there I've
never seen/heard of 3/4 t&g for roof decking. Kinda heavy duty no? That
doozie I mentioned was way north in the northeast, 50mi from Canada. I
think it was just 5/8" at most. Any regular sheathing roofs I've done
always had gaps. Gaps for expansion or it buckles. In fact some of the
sheets on that one did not have gaps and they buckled on many. Fixrd
that and ran a saw blade down all the seams to prevent buckling.