Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chas Chas is offline

Default How reliable are RCDs in consumer units?

On 5 Apr, 19:51, "spamlet" wrote:
The main RCD in our consumer unit seems to be very much on a 'hair trigger'
and cuts out regularly, causing mayhem to pc users and dvd recorders!

We thought at first it was just when the heater in the washer/drier kicked
in, but closer observation shows that it trips in various combinations of
heating element devices like kettle/toaster/cooker/washer, tending most to
cut out if two of these happen to be on at once.

Also light circuit RCD always trips when a light bulb goes, but main also
trips if the light's earth is touched when removing lamp holders even when
the lighting RCD is 'off'?

The consumer unit was fitted by a competent electrician and the problem was
not immediately apparent after the fitting.

Do the RCDs wear out?
How can they be tested?

Cheers for any tips,

these things have been a pain in the arse for a long time. they trip
out all the time. it is is easy to link them out and bypass, i have
done this for many year and have no problem with tripping any more, do
it and save you all the bother of lights out etc.