Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default low voltage wire splice

terry wrote:

If a splce, to be buried, is attempted at all, soldered wires and gel
filled heat shrink tubing over each wire and then additional double
layers over the entire splice could be attempted and might last a
while?

The made-for-purpose underground filled wire nuts do just fine--I've a
several-year (at least four, possibly as much as 5 or maybe even 6???
--daxx I can't recall much any more ) repair of the 240V feed to the
well pump.

I've come across repairs Dad (or maybe even Grandpa) made that have to
be a minimum of 30 or so that were still fine w/ nothing but twisted
connections covered w/ friction tape and then vinyl tape.

So, a good job w/ a _quality_ tape will last quite some time. The key
is enough layers done tightly enough and cleanly enough.