Posted to uk.d-i-y
stevelup stevelup is offline

Default How reliable are RCDs in consumer units?

On Apr 5, 7:51*pm, "spamlet" wrote:
The main RCD in our consumer unit seems to be very much on a 'hair trigger'
and cuts out regularly, causing mayhem to pc users and dvd recorders!

We thought at first it was just when the heater in the washer/drier kicked
in, but closer observation shows that it trips in various combinations of
heating element devices like kettle/toaster/cooker/washer, tending most to
cut out if two of these happen to be on at once.

Also light circuit RCD always trips when a light bulb goes, but main also
trips if the light's earth is touched when removing lamp holders even when
the lighting RCD is 'off'?

The consumer unit was fitted by a competent electrician and the problem was
not immediately apparent after the fitting.

Do the RCDs wear out?
How can they be tested?

Cheers for any tips,

You really need to get an electrician in to do some proper
diagnostics. Whilst RCD's can develop faults, my gut feeling is that
you have some other problem.

The lighting MCB tripping when a lamp blows is quite normal though.

Steve