Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default Breaking up concrete

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"BETA-33" writes:

2) You can use a 4x4, or a strong crow bar, or something similar, as a
lever to raise one end of the concrete up. Then place something solid
under
the raised piece of concrete. Then hit the concrete with a sledge hammer.
When the concrete is embedded in the dirt, hitting it with a sledge hammer
probably will not break it, but when it's raised up a few inches, hitting
it
will cause it to crack and break.

Though I didn't mention it, I'm already doing this. Using a heavy
shovel and a digging fork, I've been prying up one end of the concrete
and putting a rock underneath it, a few inches back from the end, so
that the concrete is unsupported at the end and stresses in the concrete
are concentrated around the rock. Without that, I would have gotten
nowhere with the hammer and chisel.

It seems the most common recommendation is to just get a bigger hammer
and hit the concrete with it directly, forgetting about the chisel. So
I think I'll try that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dave

Call the police and tell them John Wayne Gacy rented the house years ago and
your smelling something foul coming through the concrete. You'll have a crew
there in no time.