Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default foundation perimeter landscape question

Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I tend to use mulch if really needed, but most of the time I
don't use anything other than dirt or maybe grass or other living
ground cover. Overall I think people greatly over do the much thing.

I used reground Bark. over landscape fabric 3 years ago. the
weeding is minimal . I hardly ever have to water the plants, and I
dont have to mow any grass. Frankly I dont understand your
Statement about overdoing the mulch Some people like high
maintenance yard work, I dont.

It would depend on local conditions.

I believe I was specifically referring to those who pile up very
thick much around trees. Around here they like to do it because we
have a lot of crab apple trees and they like to put out suckers. Some
how they think that more mulch will stop the suckers. What it does do
is provide a hiding place for mice who can damage the trees. Thicker
is not always better when it comes to mulch.

Everything I have read instructs not to let much contact the plant,
because, as you say, it harbors pests. Also sometimes promotes fungus
infection. A circle of mulch can help keep from injuring trunks with
mowers and edgers. You are also right about not using it too thick, but
thick enough keeps weeds down and too thin is wasted effort.

I likely use less than most people and I would not say that anyone
who uses more than I do is using too much. But many seem to. I
could not tell about your yard. I would suggest that if it makes you
happy, then you are doing it right.

It isn't rocket science, but a couple of bags of bark scattered over a
long row of hedges is useless and wasted effort. Far better to group
plants and let them do the mulching )

Ground bark? Never heard of that. I believe ground nut shells are a
good mulch, too, but have never seen them in stores.

We have lawn service do the mowing at our condo. Various lawn people
have damaged the posts for yard lights, some being knocked over.
Finally planted a small circle of grassy ground cover around each post.
Looks nice, doesn't spread and mowers don't hit the post. Simple
solutions to lots of lawn problems.