Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Lathe update/questions

Don,

But what about a lathe? Staring at the thing, the carriage motion
appears to be course (0.02" gradations),

You mean the longitudinal motion? I'm not used to having *any*
graduations on that --

Yes, and the markings are not of much value.

except on the Unimat SL-1000 which had only a
hand-cranked full-length leadscrew.

I assume that most lathes use a rack and worm gear to reserve the
leadscrew for threading, right???

Hmm ... does the set of possible threads include 10 TPI?
Perhaps you could *make* replacement leadscrews and nuts to fit it.

I thought of that, and it is indeed a possibility for the future.
However, given the responses in this thread, it appears that I will not
have much trouble over it. I simply did not want to tell myself that
and regret it later.

Another question I should ask: do any of you know of a 12x36 (or so)
cam-lock lathe with 0.1 dials? I did some quick checking on the Grizzly
site, and found what looks like the same basic lathe, but no mention
(that I saw) of the screw pitch. That said, their manual is GREAT and
answers many of my "why is this stuck?" kinds of questions.

Well ... IIRC, the Jet from back around 1990 or so had the same
threads, so I suspect that they *all* come with either these threads ore
metric threads on the leadscrews.

I was afraid someone would use the J-word Having had trouble with
them in the past, I doubt I would even consider a Jet machine. I _hope_
I would not even consider a Jet machine. I think I would sooner buy
another Buick. The hostility is of course *not* directed at you, and
your point is well-taken.

The Grizzly version of the lathe in question appears to be exactly the
same base with some nice looking dials and handles and some paint. I am
waiting for a response from them about the dials, but would probably
have to wonder whether they are indeed a metric "equivalent." Also, we
have Richard's "friend of mine" comment, and so far no such favorable
review of a Grizzly.

However, the question stands: if anyone knows of a true 10 tpi lathe in
the same class, I will take a look as I am doing with the Grizzly. So
far, I am leaning toward keeping the machine.

Bill