Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

On Apr 3, 7:13*pm, exray wrote:
wrote:

You mean the fumes from the flux. You don't believe you're

breathing
solder vapors, do you? In the 40+ years I've been using solder, I
doubt I've used 5 lbs and I do quite a bit of soldering.

GG

I've never turned on my shop spectrometer to determine if it was

the
flux or solder. *I just know that the new stuff doesn't smell as
friendly to my human nose.

40+ years, 5 pounds, yadda,yadda...how much 'new' solder have you

used?
* I suspect you're just trying to pick a fight. *I'm not playing.

*See ya.

Heavens no. I don't fight. I just try to state facts to the best of my
knowledge with as little embellishment as I can. I don't know about
your soldering tools but we now use only Metcal soldering stations at
work besides my personal one at home. Point is a Metcal has a very
well defined temperature not likely to vaporize solder - though what
tool would?

Tried a very small amount of lead free solder, didn't like how it
behaved and then set it aside to keep using leaded solder until I
can't get it anymore. The antique stuff I work on has leaded solder so
it seems proper to repair it with the same type solder

Oddly, using lead free solder on copper pipe was kind of fun in that
the solder had a very well defined melt point that seemed to almost
instantly flow. IIRC it was 95% tin, 5% antimony.

GG