Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default can I make long cables, other than co-ax cables

I have co-ax cable run through my whole house, so I can watch in
almost any room what is playing on the VCR in my bedroom. It works
great. Can I now do the same thing with either RCA or S-video cables?

Running the cables and adding the connectors at one end after the
cable is in place, so that the holes can be as small as possible?

The VCR was fine, but it seems I now have to go digital and get a
digital DVD recorder with a tuner, and there is no RF output on those
things, at least the ones I've seen.

It was easy to run co-ax of whatever length I wanted, and then attach
a connector at the end, after I had pushed it through the holes in the
floors and walls. And to have splitters whereever there was another
tv, and RF amplifier-splitters whereever the signal got weak.

I don't play all the tvs at once, but I have branches now for 8 tvs.
Doesn't that mean I need some "outboard" amplification, rather than
trying to play 2 or 3 of them at the same time just with the output
from the DVDR?

And can I make my own RCA cables or S-video cables?

I guess the longest single run is about 30 feet.

Currently I have one tv in the bedroom itself and a line going
downstairs and a line into the attic.

The line into the attic has an RF-connector for a tv in the attic, a
line down in the wall for the bathroom, and a line down in the wall of
the office/spare bedroom.

The line going down has an a line for the living room tv, the basement
tv, the laundry room tv, and up again for the kitchen tv.

I wasn't very successful soldering RCA connectors on to RCA cable, but
that was a long time ago and maybe I can do a better now.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)