Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Part-time machinist wanted...how to hire?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 01:44:51 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I was thinking of farming out a folder full of parts I need but thought I might
be better off hiring a gruff old retired swarf maker to come in. Why not, I've
got great equipment and racks full of raw materials and have the parent machines
at hand for reference and fit. The right guy could come and go as he pleases,
pocket some money and enjoy some accomplishment...and get away from the wife for
a while.

What are the ways to locate such a guy? How much should I offer? Per hour?
Per job?

The approach that would work for me is by job. Figure out what a job
would cost you if done internally by whomever might do it, or what it
would cost to send it out. Then decide what you'd like to offer a
retiree to do it with your machines and your stock with no particular
time pressure since you clearly are not in a hurry.

I would then either take it or leave it.

Mentality (hence negotiation technique) is a bit different with
retirees. Production of income is nice for the toy budget, but it's
not a priority. If we needed a paycheck we'd still be working.

So the decision for the applicant is simply whether he'd rather be
making parts for you or doing something else.

Look back for my thread on the potfiller project. Several retired
guys offered opinions of what they're willing to work for if condx are
otherwise attractive.

BTW, I mentioned to my "client" (friend of son's MIL) what others had
said in that thread and then told him I'd be glad to accept whatever
he felt would be fair.

He topped the highest estimate, more than doubled the lowest. Perhaps
he thinks he might like to come back for more some day? G

If you would like to send something out, my current price would be a
Ruger GP100, 4" barrel in .357 -- or equivalent sum. G That's
until fishin' season starts, else after Hallowe'en.