Posted to alt.home.repair

Default foundation perimeter landscape question

On Apr 4, 3:19*pm, Norminn wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
* *I tend to use mulch if really needed, but most of the time I don't
use anything other than dirt or maybe grass or other living ground
cover. Overall I think people greatly over do the much thing.

It does serve a purpose, but I don't like spreading money on the dirt
) *It can protect trees and keep maint. down by circling trees with it
- keeps mower from having to cut too close and possibly injure the
tree. *Also, around plants, grouping of plants can shade the soil and
accomplish the same thing that mulch does by making the ground too shady
to support weeds. *Can help keep plants healthy, as well, by retaining
moisture. *Organic mulch breaks down and helps fertilize, but initially
takes up a bit more N in the decomposition.

Speaking of mulching trees, the new trend here in NJ is to see yards
where the mulch around trees is piled 2 ft high. I don't know if
it's ignorant city dwellers moving in that do it themselves because
they think it's good for the tree, or they like the way it looks or
landscapers doing it out of ignorance or trying to get more money. I
doubt it's the latter, as they could charge these people just about
any amount for the job, regardeless of how much they actually use and
they'd never know the difference.