Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Breaking up concrete

On Apr 4, 11:26*am, (Dave Martindale) wrote:
Our house has a flower bed immediately in front of the foundation.
There's a patch in the flower bed that has no significant plants growing
in it, and we decided to add some. *When we tried to dig a hole to plant
them, we discovered why there aren't any plants the

It seems that someone had some leftover concrete, perhaps from pouring a
stairway nearby that goes from driveway level up to front lawn level,
and they simply dumped the excess concrete into the area that would
eventually be the flower bed. *There is a chunk of concrete about 6
inches thick, 6 feet long, and 2.5 feet wide in there, with a few inches
of dirt over it. *The concrete is not attached to the foundation or the
sidewalk, it's just lying there. *But it's too heavy to move as a single
piece.

So I've been breaking it up into smaller pieces, using a single-point
concrete chisel and a 3 pound club hammer. *This just doesn't work very
well for breaking 6 inch thick concrete. *I end up holding the chisel in
one hand and the hammer in the other until I get the chisel embedded far
enough to stand up on its own, then I switch to two hands on the hammer.
Sometimes this works in a half-dozen strikes, sometimes it never works
and I try moving the chisel somewhere else. *I've probably spent a
couple of hours on this already, and it's down to half the original
size, but progress is discouragingly slow.

The two ways to improve the situation seem to be: get a bigger hammer
(e.g. a long-handled sledgehammer), or some sort of power hammer. *What
would be suitable for 6 inch concrete?

* * * * Dave

Yup, Dave, it's time to upgrade your tools for something that thick:

http://depave.org/index.php/how-to-depave/