Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

Arfa Daily wrote:

"exray" wrote in message
.. .

I've never turned on my shop spectrometer to determine if it was the flux
or solder. I just know that the new stuff doesn't smell as friendly to my
human nose.

40+ years, 5 pounds, yadda,yadda...how much 'new' solder have you used? I
suspect you're just trying to pick a fight. I'm not playing. See ya.

I don't think that he's trying to pick a fight at all ... Depending on
whether or not he's talking 'professional' use, that might be a bit of an
underestimate, but not huge. I hand solder just about every day of my
working life. I use predominantly 0.7mm solder wire, which I buy in 500g
reels. I reckon that each reel lasts me probably 3 years, so in 35 years of
professional use, I have used perhaps 6kg or 13 pounds.

Don't bother trying to educate 'Exray'. He knows everything about
everything and listens to no one. Hundreds of companies run annual
tests for lead in the blood, and rarely ever turn up anything. Those
that do are usually traced to other sources. Some employees at
Microdyne soldered every day, all day for over 20 years and still came
up clean every year. No one there had ever failed the lead tests.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html