Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] snarl@tripod.com is offline

Default Plans to build a Trailer for a Motorcycle to tow?

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:08:19 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:33:00 GMT, Winston wrote:

RainLover wrote:
Hey everyone,

I want to build a trailer that my motorcycle can tow.

James, my sedan is in the shop right now getting a new transmission.

See, I figured I would save a mint by towing stuff in a trailer rather than renting or
borrowing a truck.

That misapprehension will cost me U$3600 (Three thousand six hundred dollars) this afternoon.

Even at Silicon Valley prices, I could have rented and gassed a truck for over *fifty*
(50) trips for that amount of moolah. (Sad when you consider I rented trailers a total of
four (4) times.)

Please learn from my mistake.

--Winston

One assumes that your car has/had an automatic transmission and you didn't
lock it into gear?

Not relevant to bikes :-)

Well, not literally, but pullin' a trailer behind a bike does come
with a price, sidehacks too. They're not really designed for such
shenanigans, but with a religious dose of preventative and regular
maintenence, it can be done safely.

Wheel bearings and tires take th' brunt of it first. Ya just have to
stay on top of those. Swing arm bushings/bearings take a hit too, as
well as steering neck bearings. Some of those items ain't easily
replaceable, or even serviced, either.

I pull one of these: www.uni-go.com/ but it doesn't have anything
close to a 250 lb net weight cap. That little bugger doesn't weigh
that much fully loaded, gross.

Snarl