Snowman

Default Can't turn hot water stop tap!

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Subject: Can't turn hot water stop tap!
From: "Snowman"
Date: 03/10/03 10:06 GMT Daylight Time
I need to turn off the hot water to fix a tap, but I just can't turn the
stop tap. This is on a pipe behind the hot water cylinder running up to

the
loft and it's got a flat oval shaped piece to turn. I've found it tight

in
the past and have use mole grips, but this time I can't budge it.

Am I likely to damage anything if I really get brutal, or is there any

way
of freeing it up? Alternatively, I presume I can turn off the cold water
feed to the house and drain the tanks. (In the long term, I think I'm

going
to have to replace this tap.)

There should be a nut behind the handle where the spindle goes into the

body of
the tap. If you loosen this first you stand a better chance of not

breaking the
spindle or the handle. It's probably jammed because you had it fully open.
Better to leave stop taps half a turn back from fully out.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do

though.

There's no nut. The tap is one where a quarter turn turns it off. ie when
the oval bit you turn is in line with the pipe, it's open, if you turn it
quarter of a turn so that it's crosses the pipe it's closed.

Peter.