Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Removing stuck immersion heater

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:20:43 +0100, Richard Skeen wrote:

The element has failed in one of the two immersion heaters on my hot
water cylinder. The problem is, I'm having real difficulty removing it
so I can fit a replacement.

I bought this spanner, but can't unscrew the immersion by hand:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29549/...-Wrenches/Box-

Immersion-Spanner

So far I've tried: standing on one end of the tommy bar, levering up the
other end against the floor with a car jack, and hitting it with a 4lb
club hammer, although admittedly not all at the same time. All I've
achieved is bending the cylinder at the immersion heater boss, even
though I kept it full of water for strength.

Does anyone have any tips? The cylinder is probably about 12 years old
and this is a hard water area, so I imagine it's scaled up on the
inside. Any point in trying to soak penetrating oil into it overnight?
As it's a combination (fortic) type cylinder, it wouldn't be cheap to
replace.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rich.

1) Square up to the fact that you may lose the cylinder, I haven't as yet
but there is always a first time, which it sounds like you may have
already experienced. I've done about 10.

2) Try sharp knocks with the cylinder under full normal pressure, if you
get lucky and it starts to turn then obviously you carry on without the
water 8-)

3) If the heater is a top unit then you can drain the cylinder to below
the top of the heater and apply a load of heat to the middle of the
heater (the heater is finished right?) This may loosen the thread
sealant so you can use a spanner.

4) If the heater is a lower unit you probably can't get the water out to
do (3), unless you take the cylinder right out and put it on it's side.