Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Crack in Basement Floor Seeping Water

On Apr 3, 6:13*pm, "Kevin G." wrote:
On Apr 3, 5:50 pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:

I have just discovered that my basement floor has a 3-foot long crack
in it. *This crack has begun to seep water through it slowly. The
crack "starts" from a PVC pipe that is in a vertical direction which
is used as my washing machine's drain. *On the other side of the crack
(but not directly where the crack ends), there is a drain that goes
under my basement floor.

Is it possible that there is a pipe underneath my basement floor that
connects the drain to this PVC pipe that may have burst? *If there is
a pipe and it has burst, *would applying that basement floor/wall
crack patch stuff (and then sealant) fix the problem? *Or, should I
use a jackhammer to get to that pipe and replace the pipe and then re-
apply concrete to the area? *Any other suggestions?

what's the purpose of the PVC next to the crack? *Is it a drain? *If so, I
doubt that there'd be enough volume going through in to make that much
moisture.

Yes, the PVC is a drain for the washing machine. *But, as mentioned in
my first post, there's a floor drain about 3-4 feet away from this PVC
pipe at the "other end" of the crack.

One other thing to note, when the washing machine is emptying water
out during the spin cycle (just prior to the rinse cycle), soap suds
bubble up through the floor drain. *This leads me to believe that the
drain and the PVC pipe that you're seeing in the picture are connected.- Hide quoted text -

hmmm... well, if there's no soap bubbling up through the floor, that's
a good sign. do the dye trick like the guy said. also, does water come
up from the crack when the washing machine hasn't been run? it seems
fairly obvious that there isn't any pressure in the pipe when the
machine isn't actually draining, so that would be the only time it
would leak, if it leaks.