Posted to alt.home.repair
komobu komobu is offline

Default Wire Size for heat Pump

Hi;

We had a fire and are putting are building back together. I have a new
heat pump that has heat strips that draw 90 amps. A new wire has to be
run from the panel to the heater. The run is about 75 feet. The
electrical contractor is responsible by contract to hook up all wires
to the new 200 amp panel he is installing. He wants an additional 1300
to run the one wire for the heat pump. He says the wire and conduit
alone will run 1000 dollars. I am debating running this wire myself.
If I run the wire, he will attach it to the panel as part of the
original bid to hook up all wires to the new panel. So all I have to
do is put the wire in the conduit and attach it to the wall. I would
like to weigh the cost. What is the correct wire size that will be
needed for 90 amps?

Thanks
Pat