Posted to alt.home.repair
mr smith mr smith is offline

Default foundation perimeter landscape question

i have around my home, some shrubs, hedges and other
assorted plant life.

i think the previous owner had some "mulch" in the
areas where those plants were.

other areas have a lot of rocks, that, from one landscape
guy told me, he didn't lay down a fabric, so the rocks
just over the years sank into the dirt.

my question is, which is better ?

(a). to go with root mulch (not the wood type that
termites love),

or

(b). rocks with a layer of anti-weed fabric underneath

i think the rocks are a better idea, because it "should"
help water run off during storms... right ? i mean at
least that's what i think rocks in a perimeter drain do.
(house does have a perimeter drain system by the way).

but i have no experience with this type of stuff and
am wondering what most people choose (and why).