Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Emulsion shelf life?

In article ,
"PM" writes:

wrote in message

A painter advised me to always store cans of paint upside down as the
paint kept better. ( after properly resealing of course)

I think that's so any degradation due to air in the tin then happens at the
bottom rather than the top. OK for paint you don't stir, not so good
otherwise?

I think it's because the tin lids don't reseal perfectly, and it
allows the solvent to evaporate and the paint to skin over slowly.
By storing the tin upside down, the paint is in contact with the
lid seal, so any small leaks cause the paint to set in the
leak and seal the tin. I store mine upside down when I remember
to, and they seem to keep forever. I did some touch-up with the
original 20 year old emulsion a couple of years ago (which I had
remembered to store upside down), and that worked fine.

--
Andrew Gabriel