Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

Like any sensible person, I don't want to deliberately pollute
the planet for those who come after me, but in recent years,
many badly informed decicisions on this sort of thing, have
been made by departments "jumping on the banwagon" to
justify their own existence.

Instead of banning polluting substances, we should be regulating the
pollution they create.

In other words, it doesn't matter how much of a harmful substance you use in
manufacturing a product, but how much of it gets into the environment. It's
the latter we should be worried about, not the former.