Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin G. Kevin G. is offline

Default Crack in Basement Floor Seeping Water

On Apr 3, 5:12 pm, Boden wrote:
Kevin G. wrote:
Hello,

I have just discovered that my basement floor has a 3-foot long crack
in it. This crack has begun to seep water through it slowly. The
crack "starts" from a PVC pipe that is in a vertical direction which
is used as my washing machine's drain. On the other side of the crack
(but not directly where the crack ends), there is a drain that goes
under my basement floor.

Is it possible that there is a pipe underneath my basement floor that
connects the drain to this PVC pipe that may have burst? If there is
a pipe and it has burst, would applying that basement floor/wall
crack patch stuff (and then sealant) fix the problem? Or, should I
use a jackhammer to get to that pipe and replace the pipe and then re-
apply concrete to the area? Any other suggestions?

I can send pictures to anyone who wants to see the damage.

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

Do you have perimeter drains around your foundation? If so what
elevation(s) are they at? Footing, a few feet below the surface, etc.
Does the surface slope towards your foundation from a higher level, or
does it slope down and away?

For water to rise through the crack in the floor it must be under
pressure. Remember, 0.433 psi/foot of elevation change.

We had gutter problems in the past that have been corrected for the
most part. Ironically, there was a lot of water dripping from the
gutters almost exactly at the point where I'm seeing this crack with
water coming into it (on the roof, 50 feet up, of course).

There are not perimeter drains around my foundation.

I can say that the sloping away from the house is not the greatest in
some areas, but it's good for the most part.

In addition to this large crack, I have noticed a few very small,
hairline sized cracks on the basement floor that also have very small
amounts of water coming up through them.