Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.design
exray[_2_] exray[_2_] is offline

Default Lead free solder - exposed in a UK national newspaper

Jay Ts wrote:

In Europe, there are places where the Romans smelted lead 2000
years ago, and 8" or so below the topsoil, the dirt is still so
toxic that health officials (in Britain at least) don't allow
people to dig there, even wearing protective gear.

Welcome to California.

I tried lead-free solder, and gave up on it, at least for prototyping.
I was feeling a little bad about returning to traditional solder,
until the OP posted the article. Thanks - I feel vindicated. I hope
that someday there is a better alternative to lead-based solder,
but evidently it hasn't happened yet.

I've used 'alternative' solder. I could live with it if need be. It
handles differently but geez, I think the fumes would kill me faster
than eating a pound of lead solder everyday at tea. I've never heard
the proponents addressing the wicked fumes of the 'better' solder.

-Bill (63/37)