Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Help--I need a new newsreader

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:24:58 +0000, Colin B. wrote:

That would be me. :-)
And me, for much the same reasons. But explaining that to a non-techie
is
a lost cause. With a great deal of persuasion you might get them to use
Thunderbird.

There are applications that don't run under anything but Windows so I
have
it on my machine. But most of the time, and all the time I'm online, I
use Linux. When I get the time I'm going to try WINE (Windows emulator)
and see if the apps I use will run under it.

Try vmware server on linux. Any windows apps you need will run with no
problems. You can install windows and any windows apps that you might
need. When your windows virtual machine gets hacked, just delete and
reinstall. Your linux machine will be the none the worse for wear.

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

I looked into that, the problems I had were a) it requires buying a
Windows license -- seems somewhat defeating of the purpose and b) having to
re-compile the kernel to make it work with OpenSuse.

Someday, I may re-visit this if there is something that I absolutely have
to run that doesn't have an alternative.

I already had the windows OS from previous purchase of hardware where
you have no choice, so no problem. It is a very easy install with
ubuntu and automatix2.