Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recession is a given. Can we avoid a Bush Depression?

On Apr 3, 5:13*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

On Apr 2, 9:53 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

posting stripped to RCM only

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

On Mar 27, 9:27 am, reinhardt wrote:

On Mar 24, 5:15 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The jury is out on this one....

What do you think?

TMT

Recession is a given. Can we avoid depression?

Why avoid one when that was desired goal to begin with?

Do you know how financially reasonable depression labor is?
Actually your comment does make sense.

No it doesn't.

If one wants to level the world labor market in respect to costs, one
must lower the United States labor costs to Third World levels.

No one wants to level the world market. They want the low-wage countries
make the goods, and the high-wage countries to buy them. That's how one
makes the most profit.

--
Ed Huntress
There are other countries that will buy goods...have you noticed how

There are a lot of people in China, a tiny percentage of which can buy
expensive goods. But even a tiny percentage of 1.2 billion people is a lot
of customers. This is what businesses have been anticipating for a long
time. Meanwhile, the West is China's export market, and its entire economy
still hinges on exports.

The United States is quickly running out of money...and credit.

Really? I think you're engaging in wishful thinking and some confused
conclusions from the current financial troubles here, TMT. You're sounding
like the flip side of the right-wing nutbags. The US will continue to be a
large market for low-wage countries.

No money or credit...no buying of goods.
The United States is becoming the cheapest place to produce.

Having covered this topic for some decades as a magazine reporter, I can
tell you that the US was the cheapest place to produce advanced machine
tools, for example, as far back as the early '90s. It's also been the
cheapest place to produce top-tier cars (ones that meet Western quality
standards) for about the same length of time. (Korea probably holds that
title now.) That's because we have the most productive manufacturing economy
in the world. As of five years ago (I haven't checked current figures), we
were roughly ten times as productive as China, for example.

Before you drink the Kool-Aid with the Chicken Little brigade, you should
spend more time with the numbers, and less time with the doomsday stories
written by fairly ignorant reporters in the general press.

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

I disagree Ed.

If we are so productive, then why are the jobs leaving the country?

If we are so productive, then why has so much of our manufacturing
infrastructure been moved offshore?

I would suggest looking at the national debt, the rate of lending that
the Feds doing and the loss of housing equity and then get back to me
as to how much money/credit this country still has.

TMT