Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Emulsion shelf life?

Rob wrote:
I was given a 5L pot of Laura Ashley (no less) paint that's been opened
but almost full.

The can says 'use within 6 months of purchase' and indeed google
searches tend to repeat this. The paint is about 4 years old - as long
as it's taken me to get around to think about using it ;-)

What's the worst that can happen? I don't understand how paint can
degrade. Should I just chuck it and buy some more?

I have just been using up a huge pot of emulsion (Crown Brilliant White
Matt with pink stuff). Having been half used a few years ago (at least
2, maybe more), it did have a minor area of mould up the inside of the
container. I ignored that and used it. Works fine. (It has been kept
indoors so has never frozen. That can be a paint killer.)

Things to look out for include "bits" - maybe strain it? (I have
frequently read of people using tights/stockings for this purpose but I
have never done so myself.) Also, give it a very thorough stir. When
removing and replacing the lids I have often noticed lots of bits of
dried paint flaking off - so I cleaned the lid.

PS Be very careful with LA paint at the top of stairs.

--
Rod

onset.