Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default What size hot water pipe should I use?

On Apr 3, 6:35 am, wrote:
I need to run hot water pipes to the various appliances in my home. Some
of the appliances (lavatories, and sinks) will use relatively small amounts
of water at a time but will be used frequently, while others (tubs &
showers) will be used less frequently but will use much more hot water at a
time.

I would like to minimize wasted energy and the time spent waiting for hot
water at sinks and lavatories while still providing sufficient flow. At
tubs & showers, having a good flow rate is more important and the wasted
energy & wait times do not matter so much because of the less frequent use
and large amount of water per use.

Running different size how water lines to the same room is no problem at
all. I realize that, occasionally this will result in having to fill two
pipes but in our situation this will seldom happen. A recirculating system
is not ennergy efficient so I don't want to go that way.

Given the above, what size pipes should I run to:
Sinks & Lavatories:
Tubs/Showers:
Dish washer:
Washing machine:
(Whirlpool tub: 3/4" since valve inlets are 3/4")

Many thanks for any help!

1/2" for all. At typical pressure, you can get 5-7 GPM from a 1/2"
pipe.

JK