Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default staining cherry ?

On Apr 3, 10:56 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Rick Samuel wrote:

Isn't Draino mostly sodium hydroxide? Can't remember, and don't have any
on hand.

My wife keeps it on the spice rack. G

I wasn't present for the incident below, and only heard
about it later frommy gf.

My gf's cousin's ex-gf evidently did the same with her
clothes dyes. At dinner one night she served an
extremely sour and bitter bread pudding. She said
she probably mistook something that she used for
dying clothes for sugar. What I found particularly
disturbing is that she was unable to identify the
chemical. It is not just that she didn't know the
name, she (or so she said) find the container or
recall what it was supposed to be used for, which
makes me wonder if she was any more successful
at dying clothes than she was at cooking.

My guess would be that it was oxalic acid as it is
used dying fabrics, in dry granular form it looks like
sugar, and was once called 'bitter salts of lemon'
which would seem to agree with the description of
how the pudding tasted.

Fortunately the pudding was so unpalatable that
no one ate--much.

--

FF